Where has this year gone?!
It only seems a short time ago that we held the last annual Gerald Aylmer seminar and now we’re already well underway organising the 2013 event.
Next year’s seminar will focus on the theme of Material Culture.
The programme will be based on four panel sessions, each with three speakers who will speak for about 10 minutes before opening to the floor for discussion. We have chosen four themes for the panels:
- The Historical Value of Material Culture
- Material Culture in a Digital World
- Investigation, Interpretation and Dissemination of Material Culture
- Material Culture and Human Connections
We are delighted to have secured a number of distinguished speakers for the event including John Styles, Evelyn Welch, Glen Adamson, Anne Gerritsen and Marta Ajmar.
The seminar is co-hosted by The National Archives, the Royal Historical Society and the Institute of Historical Research. This year we are pleased to have Warwick University and the Victoria and Albert Museum offering expert advice on the organising committee too.
The seminar is held in memory of the late Gerald Aylmer, past President of the Royal Historical Society and Chairman of the Historical Manuscripts Commission. The seminar aims to address subjects of joint interest to historians and the providers of their source materials, focusing on aspects of the relationship between historians and the sources they use.
The programme is nearly finalised – just a couple more names to confirm. However, if you’d like to book a place please email firstname.lastname@example.org Attendance is free but numbers will be limited and based on a first come, first served basis. The seminar is always very popular so do book your place early!
We’ll publicise the hashtag for the event soon so, if you’re not able to be with us in person, please follow the proceedings on twitter.
Here are the ‘need to know’ details:
- Date: Friday 22 February 2013
- Time: 9:30am (for 10am start) to 5pm
- Venue: The Chancellor’s Hall, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House, London
- Hosted by: The Royal Historical Society, the Institute of Historical Research and The National Archives
- Theme: Material Culture: why is it so important?
We look forward to seeing you there!