Please help us by making research requests using our online formÂ instead of this blog.
Alternatively, use our research guides in the records section of the website as a starting point for your research or help with your next step.
During the week, comments added to the site are post-moderated; at weekends they are pre-moderated. Due to problems with spam, comments containing links to external sites will always be held for moderation.
Any comments made are the authorâ€™s opinion alone and do not represent those of The National Archives. Comments will not be edited, however, any posts that may cause offence, are about a named individual or use offensive language will be removed.
Blog authors will always try to respond to comments added within a 24 hour period during the working week. However, we cannot guarantee this.
If your submission to the site does not appear on the site, or is removed, it means that the Blog team feel that the contribution does not comply with the participation guidelines listed below.
If you have a query about why your contribution has not appeared/disappeared on the site, our participation guidelines or approach to moderation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When posting comments, please observe our site participation guidelines:
- Be respectful of others
- Stay on topic and do not upload content that is unrelated to the purpose of this site.
- Do not use language that is offensive, inflammatory or provocative (this includes swearing and obscene or vulgar comments)
- Do not break the law (this includes libel, condoning illegal activity and contempt of court)
- In the course of using the community areas of this site, please do not post personal information â€“Â including sensitive information, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other online contact detailsÂ â€“ relating either to you or other individuals
- Do not impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or an organisation
- Do not make any commercial endorsement or promotion of any product, service or publication not relevant to the discussion
- Do not post in a language other than English
The National Archives is not responsible for the content of external websites.
We would prefer to receive Freedom of Information requestsÂ and data protection requestsÂ via our online form, by email or by letter, in order to assist us in giving them a full response. However, we note the Information Commissionerâ€™s Office guidance on the validity of social media as a channel for receiving such requests and will handle them in accordance with that guidance.