2012 marked the bicentenary of construction starting on London’s famous Regent’s Canal. The Regent’s Canal passes just north of central London and connects the Paddington basin in the west, to the Limehouse basin in east London. This would allow for goods to be easily transported from the north of London to the docks at Limehouse without needing to put it on to carts and transport it through central London. Construction on the canal began in October 1812 after an Act of Parliament and was opened to the public in August 1820. The work on the project was managed by the Regent’s Canal Company who employed John Nash to oversee the design and creation of the canal.
The National Archives conserved two company minute books in its collection as part of the celebrations, and the conservation work was funded on behalf of the Regent Canal historical society.